Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday Blues

Mondays are always challenging for the kids, their parents and even me. You dont feel like getting up, getting dressed and even a hot cup of freshly brewed tea refuses to help wake your senses up.

I am only fully awake once the clock strikes seven ( I get up at 5:30 everyday except for the weekends) and its time for my own munchkins to get ready for the long day ahead. The hustle bustle starts, breakfast, lunch containers, books, my own bag with a cup of tea and we are ready to step outside.

The school itself welcomes me with smiling co-workers, good morning chimes from the kids and nervous looks from the parents of 2 year olds. Their eyes always seem to search me, trying to question me that whether or not we, teachers take "Sincere" care of their little jewels.

I greet the little angels with a smile, hand shakes, hugs and even when essential carry them around. That makes me miss my own babies and I pray that somebody is doing the same for them.

Class starts and I get busy in observing and working with my group of 24 kids ranging from 2&1/2 to 5 years. The environment this mixed age group creates is very powerful and real. If one is to observe a typical montessori classroom, he would be mesmerized by the dynamics of it.

Since today was Monday, I had a few clingy ones who just wanted to sit next to me or follow me around, which is absolutely fine. I did remind them from time to time  to sit down & think what they would like to do.
A normal question expected from any Montessori directress, trying to direct a child in the montessori classroom. It is so because children are given choices to make instead of teachers choosing for them like in any other traditional classroom. We, as educators just have to be a little patient and it does pay off. The so-called clingy ones finally were at ease to let go of me & before long they got busy in doing their work.

Lunch was messy though...well what does one expects with beef, salad & cheese tacos served to the 3 year olds:) the good part was the clean up..as I started to sweep the floor, one of my three year old offered his help and instead of waiting for my reply decided to simply join me in the chore.
Have you ever seen a three year old sweeping the floor? its a treat for your eyes. For me it was simply bliss.

Thought of the day, " Never underestimate anyones abilities, specially  a 3 year old's".
By: Ifra N. Khoso

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to know whats the difference between Montessori method and Traditional method.

    What are the pros and cons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montessori method is an extention of the home environment...the beauty of it lies in the collaboration and interaction of mixed age group children which is not part of any traditional school. The Montessori method is not teacher based, meaning that children learn & progress at their own pace.. so its nothing unusual to walk into a montessori classroom and see a 4 year old reading first grade level books and doing addition problems. This environment is very learner based and children not only learn through specially prepared lessons given with scientifically manufactured hands on materials but also through collaboration with each other and observation. The lessons are majorly given based on the childs level. Since the Montessori Directress gives lessons individually to each child, a special bond between the directress and the child is formed. The directresses knows each child at a personal level, their needs, mood swings and hence lasting friendships are formed between them.
    Each child is challenged to their level, therefore learning becomes fun and self exploratory whereas in the traditional system every child does the same thing and so the traditional system completely ignores an indiviual child's capabilities.
    The learning horizon is indefinite in a Montessori environment with not only language arts and Mathematics but areas like science, early introduction to geometry, geography and history are also incooperated. For children 2&1/2 till 5 years of age such an environment is very dynamically diversified and insightful.

    ReplyDelete